Grateful Dead Live at Greek Theatre - University of California on 1981-09-11
New Minglewood Blues
They Love Each Other
Mama Tried ->
Little Red Rooster
Cumberland Blues ->
Beat It On Down The Line
Lost Sailor ->
Saint Of Circumstance ->
Feel Like A Stranger ->
Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
He's Gone ->
The Other One ->
Morning Dew ->
Johnny B. Goode
Don't Ease Me In
Collection GratefulDeadBand/Artist Grateful DeadVenue Greek Theatre - University of CaliforniaLocation Berkeley, CASource 3 Nakamich 700's (left and right Cardiod at 100 Deg, center omni 45 deg up) 45 feet from stage, dead center > Hand made 3 mic mixer > Sony D5 > MAC (dolby B)Lineage MAC (dolby B) > Nakamichi CR-5A (Dolby B) > Tascam HD-P2 > 24/96 Wave > WL 5 > plugins > r8brain pro > 16/44.1 wave > CD wave > flac lvl 8 (TLH)Taped by anonymous taper, Jamie Poris, Mark SeversonTransferred by Brian Green and Evan K.
- After the Egypt sources, the anonymous taper contacted me to talk about transferring and editing some more masters from his collection. These Greek Theater shows were a tapers choice, a run he holds near and dear. These tapes were made by a group of friends. The taper explained how he had spent the majority of the weekend waiting in line just to get to the sweet spot inside the venue where he knew the sound would be at its best. He didn't want to see these tapes (and many others) that represent wonderful moments in music history, deteriorate without ever being circulated. For him, these tapes represent really great times, where friendships were made by individuals from different backgrounds and talents with a common goal of trying to capture the sense of being there.
You'll notice a special mention of two names as below: Jamie Poris and Mark Severson. From what I've been told, these three worked as team, along with many others, to get these great pulls. Thanks to them and their friends for putting in the effort to make these tapes! The three Nak 700 mix gives a very full sound. This source and the circulating sources all have there pros and con's. I'll let you as a listener decide which suits your ear. Take what you want and leave the rest. Hopefully many more to follow.
- Between song banter patched in between new Minglewood and They Love Each other from shnID31791
- Drums/space patched from shnID3179
- All tape flips and non invasive pauses between songs are cross faded
- There is a slight blemish in the vocals in a few spots of candyman and althea, Very minimal.
- Slight blemishes in Women Are Smarter and He's Gone. very minor, left as is.
- This is a very nice recording. Very full. An absolute pleasure to work on. Happy b-day and minglewood are a little muffled compared to the rest of the source so stay tuned through these to get a real feel for the show.
- Thanks to MOTB for the use of the HD-p2
May 6, 2009
Best of the AUD sources
While I tend to gravitate towards Walker and Wise AUDs, those sources are unfortunately marred by clapping too close to the mics. This is a phenomenal show and while I wish the sound was a little crisper, it's a minor quibble. Always loved the He's Gone>Truckin' combo and this is a particularly tasty treat here.
October 31, 2008
81 Greek - Another amazing recording!
There was a poster made years ago that shows the band blissing out with Garcia's head cranked sideways as he belts out lyrics. The crowds arms are up above their shoulders as they clap in approval. There are red roses on the stage and the famous Greek tie dyes done by Courtney in the background. I think it was actually from Greek '83 but to me it represents how the crowd must have been feeling at the end of the beautiful MORNING DEW from this show. Get it.